[Interest] Thiago QtWS15- Contributing your first patch to the Qt Project

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Dec 2 06:58:07 CET 2015

On Tuesday 01 December 2015 22:34:46 mark diener wrote:
> Thiago:
>
> Just watched your talk about contributors on youtube:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWuOQoY1J78
>
> What I did not see was any sort of treatment to local testing and executing
> the unit test in some
> reasonable way.

The session was 25 minutes. I couldn't cover every aspect...

To run the local test, simply cd into the directory containing the test, then
	qmake
	make check

You can open the test's .pro file in Qt Creator and run it. Note that some
tests have subdirs and Creator may not have selected the test itself as the
default project. The test is itself is usually "test".

> Since it takes hours to build the source, then you make changes.
>
> It would have been great to see run a small demo of your work pattern and
> commands and tricks/shortcuts you use to code, compile, debug (both code
> and unit test) such a big mama pile of code like Qt.

My work pattern is
 1) start Creator, load the Qt 5 session (which already has corelib.pro open)
 2) make modifications to QtCore
 3) open the relevant test's .pro file
 4) write unit test
 5) Ctrl+R / F5
 6) rinse and repeat until satisfaction

If you're fixing bugs, you may want to write the unit test before fixing the
code, so you can confirm that the test was failing before and now passing.

To push things to Gerrit and maintain my tree of changes, I use my own
scripts.