[Interest] New CI for Qt (and OpenSource Qt/QtC 3rd parties)

Ch'Gans chgans at gna.org
Mon Dec 7 21:26:33 CET 2015

On 8 December 2015 at 07:25, md at rpzdesign.com <md at rpzdesign.com> wrote:
> I was reading at various places about Qt putting in place a new CI system.
>
> Where can I get the specs of the new CI build system?
>
> Where are you running your IOS builds?
> Android builds?

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I was thinking recently about
adding contributor projects to some sort of CI.

There's some nice Qt libraries around and some nice out-of-tree
QtCreator plugins in the wild, wouldn't it be nice if such Open Source
projects were integrated in such CI systems?
Even if they are clearly marked as
unsupported/unofficial/untested/<insert-your-statement-here>?

> I want to start putting together my own CI resources
> but want to take advantage of the cumulative learning.
>
> Just putting up Jenkins would be ignoring that Qt is likely leaving Jenkins
> is my point.

I have the same goal here, I'm planning on setting up my own CI for
some of my projects, and I wouldn't mind to let other people use it
(within some yet-to-be-defined fair limits and conditions [1]).
I'm currently renting a decent build machine (x86_64/OpenSuSe running
Jenkins) and planning to add another one before Christmas (likely
x86_64/Ubuntu). I am considering as well running a "cheap" dedicated
ARM64/Ubuntu server.
As a side note, I'm only interested by modern setup (recent
architecture, recent OS, recent Qt/QtC version)

Chris

[1] Typ. Don't eat all the bandwidth, don't eat all the CPU and disk
space. Open Source projects only.