[Interest] Fonts and Qt5

Duane duane.hebert at group-upc.com
Mon Dec 14 16:18:52 CET 2015

We're moving our apps from Qt4.8 to Qt 5.5.  There seems to be an issue
with fonts and font rendering.  Our targets are Windows Xp/7  and
TinyCore Linux 5.

For a sample test on Linux, I built a simple hello world app on both Qt4
and Qt5 with basically a new Qt main window and a couple labels.
Without setting font or styles, the Qt4 label text looks fine but with
Qt5 the font family looks different and the font size is half as large.

Both on Windows and Linux we're using the open source versions installed
by the online installer for Windows and the  maintenance tool for Linux.
  No custom builds.

One thing that I notice is that for my Linux build, if I check the font
family using QApplciation::font(), on Qt4 I get DejaVu which exists on
my system and the point size is 12.  With Qt5 this returns "Sans Serif"
which doesn't exist and the point size is 9.  If I set the Qt5 version
to use DejaVu with a point size of 12 this works.

But this is not a solution for us as we use styles and style sheets and
need to support several resolutions.

Any idea what is different here?  Does the "default" Qt that gets
installed with the online installer or maintenance tool have fontconfig
support built in or not?