[Interest] Fonts and Qt5

Duane duane.hebert at group-upc.com
Tue Dec 15 15:16:29 CET 2015

On 15/12/2015 4:30 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday 14 December 2015 23:56:30 Frank Mertens wrote:
>> 2 ideas, here:
>>    * call QGuiApplication::setFont() in your main()
>>    * use qtconfig to setup Qt5 defaults
>
> There's no qtconfig for Qt 5.
>
> Recommendation: don't do anything. Qt is supposed to select the best font for
> you based on system defaults. Don't override it.
>
> If you think there's something wrong with the font it selected, that's a
> different story.

Thanks for the replies.

That's that issue though.  We were not setting an application font.
With Qt 4 the font sizes were ok.  With Qt 5 the same code made the
fonts very small.

What I see is that when I don't set the family, it has Sans Serif as the
family and the default size is 9.  When I set the font to DejaVu which
exists, the point size is 12.  Doing some math, it actually sounds like
9 would be very small.  This doesn't make a lot of sense.

I use this to test:

   QFont f(QApplication::font());
   qDebug()<< qPrintable(f.family()) << f.pointSize());
   QApplication::setFont(QFont("DejaVu"));
   f=QApplication::font();
   qDebug()<< qPrintable(f.family()) << f.pointSize());

What I don't understand is why the point size would be different.