[Interest] Dynamically created item destroyed with original parent despite reparenting

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 16:02:05 CET 2015

> As the documentation says: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtqml-component.html
> Dynamically created instances can be deleted with the destroy() method. See
> Dynamic QML Object Creation from JavaScript for more information.
> So I tested you code by commenting oldParent.destroy(); and it worked just
> fine. you can set the opacity of oldParent to zero to be able to see this.

Not sure I understand you. I think that Peter wanted to destroy the
oldParent, not just set it to transparent. So I don't think just
commenting out the .destroy() call is a solution.

What I found in http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtquick-item.html#parent-prop is that

"Note: The concept of the visual parent differs from that of the
QObject parent. An item's visual parent may not necessarily be the
same as its object parent. See Concepts - Visual Parent in Qt Quick
for more details."

which is why Peter's assignment to parent doesn't cause it to be
reparented in the QObject sense.

Looking at http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtquick-visualcanvas-visualparent.html
one can read:

"Any object assigned to an item's data property becomes a child of the
item within its QObject hierarchy, for memory management purposes.
Additionally, if an object added to the data property is of the Item
type, it is also assigned to the Item::children property and becomes a
child of the item within the visual scene hierarchy."

So Peter, if you just change your:

target.parent = newParent;

newParent.data.push(target);

Will that work? I think that should re-parent it in both the QObject
and visual scene hierarchy.

Elvis