[Interest] Throttle downloads

Robert Iakobashvili coroberti at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 18:08:40 CET 2015

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Jason Kretzer <Jason at gocodigo.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I have an application that must download files in the background.  I
> separate this process off into a separate thread so that it does not
> interfere with the UI.  Unfortunately, when it starts downloading, it uses
> the full pipe that it has access to and adversely affects the rest of the
> network – causing other internet connections to slow to a crawl.  The
> application is installed on networks which I do not control and cannot
> throttle it that way.  What I would like to do is have the application not
> eat so much bandwidth during the download.
>

> Thanks!
>

> -Jason

Dear Jason,
Since it is using TCP/IP connection
and TCP/IP is equipped with congestion avoidance algorithms
(Von Jacobson), this not an issue.

In your lab you could see a huge throughput,
but in public shared networks TCP connections decrease
their throughput to prevent congestion and work
co-cooperatively for that.

Take care
Robert