[Interest] Distance from point to path.

william.crocker at analog.com william.crocker at analog.com
Tue Dec 29 19:47:01 CET 2015

> Perhaps. But you should consider that QPainterPath is, as the name
> suggests, primarily for painting, and not meant for solving generic
> geometric problems. So I'm not sure how a feature request for this
> would be received by the Qt devs. Point projection is one problem, but
> there are many others, and they are surely not all within the scope of
> QPainterPath.

I think Qt opened the door for geometric consideration when they
invented the scene, gave items mouse-event-handlers and provided
intersection based item queries.   :-)

> If I were you, I would instead try to find a library that can
> calculate the minimum point-to-bezier distance, or if you feel up for
> it, implement it yourself. The line case is trivial.

I do not take the addition of a new library and the subsequent
dependency lightly.

In this case, I will just brute force with pointAtPercent.

Thanks.

Bill