[Interest] Display color managed image

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Thu Dec 31 12:06:25 CET 2015

On Wednesday 30 December 2015, Caio S. Souza wrote:
> Hi!
> I posted this question on the QT forum and recommended me to ask it in
> the mailing list. I am developing an image manipulation app that must
> be color managed. I have a pixel buffer with the colors already
> converted to the display profile. I researched a lot and found that
> QImage works with colors in a linear color space, so everything should
> be ok. But if I create a pixmap using QPixmap::fromImage, does QT
> apply any color transformation before displaying the image? If it
> does, what is the recommended way to display this image without
> modifications?

QImage does not work in linear color space. It doesn't even care about color
space. The only place Qt does any gamma correction is in handling of
antialiasing in text painting, and that correction just tries to match
platform native text painting.

So, if you do the corrections on the image, they will carry over to the pixmap
correctly, and for most paint operations be treated correctly. For text
antialiasing, you may need to force the gamma to 1.0.

Regards
'Allan