[Interest] Advice on random program finish crash

alexander golks alex at golks.de
Wed Jan 7 13:51:25 CET 2015

Am Wed, 7 Jan 2015 12:36:52 +0000
schrieb Nuno Santos <nunosantos at imaginando.pt>:

> Hi,
>
> I’m not really sure.
>
> Question:
>
> - On program termination, isn’t all the memory allocated by it deleted?

when allocated on heap, no. the memory is just released, not delete()'ed, that is, no dtor is called at all.
the memory is returned to the system, available for other applications again, after your application has exited. so there is no memory "leak" here.

> With this approach at least the QNetworkAccessManager which is being allocated by the manager is supposedly being deleted:
>
> Manager::~Manager()
> {
>     _networkAccessManager->deleteLater();
> }
>
> Which is called if I set app as Manager parent.

which in turn won't get called, when your app on heap is not deleted anymore.

> I’m not sure if this will result in a successful object deletion since the event loop is now terminated at this point.
>
> While without any crash, i’m always looking to improve my understanding of this low level details. Any ideas, suggestions or explanations are welcome.

sometimes it's easier to use this kind of "hacks" (qapplication on heap, not deleted) instead of trying to fix too complex, threaded programs...