[Interest] QML animation flickering on Ubuntu

Dmitry Volosnykh dmitry.volosnykh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 14:02:40 CET 2015

I've tried to capture the issue: see http://youtu.be/KUNyk2YWBaY
The flickering is more obvious in this video since capturing software
affecting performance. When running application with no video recording
there's no visual artifacts for about 15 seconds. Then the top of the green
bar visually looks like be shifted leftwards by a small offset which holds
on form the moment of its appearance. The height of this 'cap' may slightly
increase over time. This issue reproduces constantly.

Previously, I was facing an issue with totally jerky animations which was
solved by updating video drivers to the most recent version.

I do not experience such problems on Mac OS X 10.10. However, there is some
flickering on Windows 7, but less noticeable.

Can something further be done to avoid flickering?

PS. Here is the example application I run. You have to press spacebar to
launch animation.

import QtQuick 2.0

Rectangle {
    id: root
    width: 800
    height: 600
    color: "black"
    focus: true

    Rectangle {
        id: rect
        width: 150
        height: parent.height
color: "seagreen"
        visible: animation.running

        NumberAnimation on x {
            id: animation
            from: -rect.width
            to: root.width
            loops: Animation.Infinite
            duration: 4000
            running: false
        }
    }

    Keys.onSpacePressed: animation.running = true
}

Regards,
Dmitry.