[Interest] QML animation flickering on Ubuntu

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Tue Jan 13 20:21:53 CET 2015

On Tuesday 13 January 2015 23:06:40 Dmitry Volosnykh wrote:
> Sean, thanks for your input.
>
> I have NVidia GeForce 9800M GTX, and VSync is enabled. Double-checked that.
> Another enabled options: Allow Flipping and Use Conformant Texture
> Clamping. Do not know what are they for...
>
> Regarding your question about monitor's refresh rate. Here is xrandr's
> output:
> $ xrandr
> Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1680 x 1050, maximum 8192 x 8192
> DVI-D-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> LVDS-0 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> 331mm x 207mm
>    1680x1050      59.9*+
> DVI-D-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>
> I guess, it means runs on 60Hz refresh rate.

Hmm OK if that didn't work, can you try this trick. Try setting

export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"

for your X environment. I have this set in /etc/profile.d/tearing.sh on Gentoo.
Not sure where the correct place is on Ubuntu. If this is set when X starts
this solves the tearing for me on nVidia when using a compositing window
manager.

Cheers,

Sean