[Interest] Qt japanese onscreen keyboard

Alejandro Exojo suy at badopi.org
Fri Jan 16 13:53:38 CET 2015

El Friday 16 January 2015, Bo Thorsen escribió:
> If not, then we'll show the normal ascii chars and do a conversion with
> the input. As I understand it, this is what the mobile world does?
> Setting the locale on a line edit to japanese and sending key events
> doesn't seem to give me any Japanese chars.

It's a bit complex. The Japanese language, as far as I know, seems to always
require an input system. Either they type "romaji" (characters in the roman
alphabet), and a certain UI allows you to choose between different
possibilites, or they type kana (the sillabary).

For example, I typed Japanese in Japanese, "nihongo", and I was offered "日本語"
which is kanji or "にほんご" which is the same in kana. There are thousands or
kanji, but only about 50 kana (actually, in two versions, but that's another
story). That means that natives might prefer to type kana, which is what they
learn as children, but foreigners might want the romanized version of the
word.

> Did someone here already implement this? Any pointers? I have done a
> google search for this, but nothing useful came up. I hope you guys can
> help.

What constraints there are? For Linux the tipical solution is Maliit, but how
well the japanese plugin works is an unkown. The website seems a bit broken. I
think it heavily used D-Bus, but I saw some post about Windows support.

http://web.archive.org/web/20131218195654/https://wiki.maliit.org/Main_Page
https://web.archive.org/web/20130606035734/https://wiki.maliit.org/Documentation/Installing#From_source_code_.28Windows.29
https://code.google.com/p/maliit-plugin-jp/
https://gitorious.org/maliit-plugin-jp