[Interest] Qt 5.3 vs Qt 5.4 (etc)

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 01:57:01 CET 2015

On Tuesday 20 January 2015 11:08:10 Thiago Macieira wrote:
[snip]
> > Then it shouldn't be a problem (understanding a lib part of Qt, as you
> > only
> > replied to that part).
>
> Right.
>
> I meant anything using private API (or, at least, triggering the trick).
> This is intended for Qt libraries themselves, but it might help you catch
> mistaken uses of private API.
>
> Probably QObjectPrivate only.

It will definitely help.

= Just for the curious, contains debian-specific stuff

Nowadays what we are doing is [0]. Basically it scans private headers and uses
a special feature of Debian's symbols files, marking private symbols to create
a special dependency on a certain virtual package instead of the library
itself. This special package is only provided by a specific version of the
library instead of just the major one.

Might not be the best/more efficient thing out there for this, but it has
proven to do the job quite right.

The final result is that all packages that end up depending on this virtual
package need either a new upload (the Qt stack) or a full rebuild (any
external thing using private headers) and we can easily track them.

[0] <http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-kde/qt/qtbase.git/tree/debian/mark_private_symbols.sh>

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/