[Interest] Building the latest Qt 5.X

Scott Aron Bloom scott.bloom at onshorecs.com
Fri Jan 23 01:09:57 CET 2015

My COMPANY is finally in a position with a direct customer need to move to Qt 5.X from 4.8.

While I have had side builds and have been playing with 5.X for a while, I have not released anything with 5.X

The one problem I am hitting, it appears the prebuilt version of Qt for VS has a different set of patches or "something" causing random crashes on various base calls (string assignment etc) on applications I build against the libraries.

I have seen this before, its not a big deal.  The way I have solved this in thepast, with Qt 3 and 4, was to always build the Qt system myself.

Is there a cookbook, for downloading the zip/tarball for Qt 5.X and building it?

I need the following modules.

Qt Core
Qt Gui
Qt Webkit
Qt Network (with SSL for windows, so what version of openssl should I download, and instructions for building that version the Qt way)
Qt SQL
Qt Script
Qt ScriptTools (Qt4 based name, is it still relevant?)
QtXml
QtXml Patterns

I have always built on linux, by simply running configure, then make, then make install.

On windows, I run configure with the -vcproj option so I can build it inside the visual studio environment.

What version of VS (64 and 32 bit btw)  is recommended?

For Linux (CentOS 5 and 6) it's a corporate requirement, we build against the DEFAULT versions of GCC, 4.1.2 on CentOS 5 I know old as snot, and 4.4.7 on CentOS 6.  Unless someone can advise on how to build with a newer version and ship ALL dependencies and make sure they all get picked up properly by our customers and have it still work :)...

I have found a couple "blogs" on this subject, but to be honest, they are all lacking in one form or another..

Thanks for any help in advance

Scott