[Interest] Indie Mobil Program terminated?

Edward Sutton edward.sutton at subsite.com
Thu Jul 2 20:22:33 CEST 2015

On Jul 2, 2015, at 10:42 AM, Igor Mironchik <igor.mironchik at gmail.com<mailto:igor.mironchik at gmail.com>> wrote:

On 02.07.2015 18:07, Bob Hood wrote:
On 7/2/2015 8:44 AM, Igor Mironchik wrote:
On 02.07.2015 17:21, Daniel França wrote:
>> This news sounds like a good week for Xamarin
Indeed

Stop guys...

No, they have a valid point.  I had not even heard about Xamarin until they posted this, and after looking, it looks like Xamarin is a legitimate competitor to what the Qt Company intended with its Indie license.

Ok, Xamarin is cheaper than Qt. But with Xamarin and C# you can write crosspaltform only business logic. All UI is platform dependend and you should write UI for iOS, UI for Android, and so on. With Qt you can write once and deploy everywhere…

That is not an accurate statement about Xamarin. You do *not* have to write the UI in native code an longer.

They have a cross-platform UI library now and are claiming 90% common code across platforms.   Cross-platform UI *was* one of the reasons I went with Qt 5.x.

http://xamarin.com/forms

I have not used Xamarin.  It is certainly interesting.

-Ed

Dropping the $25/month ($300/year) indie program for a $350/month ($4200/year) full license program seems completely counter intuitive to me.  Could somebody explain the rationale for that one?  As was pointed out previously, Qt is not really a visible player in the mobile market, and dropping that program--even though you didn't have what you would consider sufficient interest--will not get you there when you are now charging an order of magnitude more, twice what your nearest competitor (Xamarin) is charging for their most expensive plan.

On the surface, this looks like it was a horrid marketing decision.  If you are serious about market penetration, instead of withdrawing, you actually should have gotten more aggressive.

This email and any files transmitted with it from The Charles Machine Works, Inc. are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Our company accepts no liability for the contents of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.