[Interest] Indie Mobil Program terminated?

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 4 19:14:36 CEST 2015

On 7/4/2015 10:53 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Saturday 04 July 2015 18:33:50 Harri Pasanen wrote:
>> On 04/07/2015 14:51, Kate Alhola wrote:
>>> allow sales in appstore for this 10000€/month with OSS version before
>>> professional licence is needed.
>> I think this would be a good strategy.
> Provided it doesn't cost more to run the programme (including cost of
> opportunity) than it brings in revenue.

IMO, that seems like a sure formula for failure to me.  If you want success,
you have to look beyond today.  It may cost you initially, as long as you can
forecast an ROI that exceeds today's investment.  It's true that some start-up
businesses can function with no capital investment, but they are fairly rare.
Most successful businesses have to have that injection of funds (a.k.a.,
resources) to get going, with the calculated risk that it will be returned
manyfold as time passes.

I understand that resources may not be available within the Qt Company to
support this programme.  However, if the general attitude toward it is that it
has to pay for itself on day one, or that it should build momentum entirely on
its own, then I think it would be best just to end it.  There would always be
that potential hanging over it that somebody at the Qt Company would one day
just decide it has exceeded some cost threshold, and summarily cancel it.
This in itself will provide a self-fulfilling prophecy, and people would not
sign up for fear of it being pulled out from under them.