[Interest] Restoring ICU to Qt 5.5 on Windows

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 13:53:06 CEST 2015

Hello,

Qt 5.5 removed the dependency on ICU for the default Windows builds
(QTBUG-38259). This move is welcomed by many developers.

Now, I find myself in a rare position where I'd like to bring ICU back
for its codec support, which probably means I have to do a custom
build of Qt. I'd like to avoid building the entire framework if
possible. Can I simply take the official binaries and replace
Qt5Core.dll? Or do I need to ship custom versions of other Qt DLLs
too? (Assume that my compiler is compatible, and I won't ship WebKit)

Thanks!

Regards,
Sze-Howe