[Interest] Is moc obsolete?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jul 9 07:19:38 CEST 2015

On Wednesday 08 July 2015 21:56:42 Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> It does not support many C++ features:
>
> http://www.copperspice.com/docs/cs_overview/moc_limits.html
>
> However, in clang-based moc it would be possible to support all of this
> stuff

No, it wouldn't. Not if you're thinking of a code generator moc that is run as
a separate tool.

The restrictions are not because of moc's implementation but because of the
requirements imposed on the meta object.

To lift those restrictions, we need a clang plugin that is run when compiling
your code. THAT would be an extension to the C++ language (moc currently
isn't).

In other words, it would require implementing C++ reflection support. Please
see the SG7 discussions inside the ISO C++ committee for more information on
how soon it's coming (hint: it isn't).