[Interest] Qt mobile apps v native

Ben Lau xbenlau at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 07:54:16 CEST 2015

On 11 July 2015 at 10:21, John C. Turnbull <ozemale at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Amongst all the debate around the Indie license, some mention was made of
> Qt Mobile not quite "being ready yet".
>
> So, for someone considering Qt for lots of things including mobile, could
> someone please answer these questions for me:
>
> 1. Which Qt features do not currently work on iOS or Android?

iOS

   1. Magnifying glass for text navigation
   2. iOS9's two finger swipe of text navigation

p.s I can not get Launch image using storyboard works. The resolution of Qt
application will be incorrect. I am not sure can be it solved.

Android

   1. Using native component like Google Map
   2. Haptic feedback

> 2. Which Qt features are likely never to work on those platforms and why?
>
> 3. How does the performance of a Qt mobile app differ from a native one
> (if at all)?
>
> 4. Are there APIs or features of either iOS or Android that Qt cannot
> access?
>
> 5. How does the look and feel of a Qt mobile app compare to a native one?

Qt for Android version provides native components ,  but iOS do not.

But you could find simulated native components of iOS from my project:
benlau/quickios <https://github.com/benlau/quickios>

Moreover, an app using quickios is already available in the app store:
Team Proto - Design Better with Faster Feedback from Sketches
<http://teamproto.net/>

btw, Anyone know did Qt's Android native component provide page
transaction?

6. How does Qt integrate with standard mobile controls and features like
> tumblers for date selection, word auto complete and auto correct, custom
> keyboards for each scenario like entering an email address, URL, phone
> number etc.?

Not good.

> 7. How does Qt integrate the native mobile browser in such a way that the
> standard effects and transformations that can be applied to other Qt
> objects be applied?
>
> 8. Are there any legal restrictions on what a Qt app can do on mobile
> platforms or in relation to suitability for App Store distribution?

LGPL app may got trouble in App Store.