[Interest] Indie Mobil Program terminated?

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 11 15:17:04 CEST 2015

On 7/11/2015 5:00 AM, Nicola De Filippo wrote:
> Hi,
>> Mobile never was a core area for Qt in the post-Nokia period, and while
>> there are good intentions, I'm sure there is a line after which the
>> return on investment is really low from a commercial license business
>> perspective. Simply put, the core philosophies of Qt are not exactly
>> mobile-friendly, and every effort there is an uphill battle (for which
>> they are apparently not getting paid enough).
> if it’s the status quo, maybe is better that the Qt company leave the mobile market and work only for embedded or desktop market.
> So we old qt developer can see for other tools and the Qt company spend all the energy for other market. I think that here all want the better for Qt, i hope.

No, I don't think you can simply ignore mobile.  Even desktop developers (like
me) would like to have a means of extending the desktop functionality via
mobile.  Being able to use the same (or largely identical) code base for this
is, of course, the ideal environment for a Qt developer.

I agree that mobile is an afterthought for Qt, and the Trolls have been trying
to provide that within the existing framework.  It's been a slow road, but
that is to be expected in a framework where mobile was not the intention from
the beginning (like the competitors).  But I can see that Qt is at a decision
point:  Deploy resources to shore up the mobile support in Qt and get into the
game as a real player, or (as you say) ignore mobile, focus on their
historical strengths, and risk becoming more and more irrelevant in terms of
revenue as the commercial share of desktop applications continues to shrink.

Do I have a solution?  Not one that is any more viable than the others that
have been posted here.  Ultimately, this needs to be a forward-looking
business decision by the Qt Company, and there's a lot at stake.  I think
we've given them a lot to think about in this discussion (a great discussion,
btw), and I hope they keep up involved going forward.