[Interest] Indie Mobil Program terminated?

Gianluca gmaxera at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 10:24:16 CEST 2015

Il giorno 18/lug/2015, alle ore 09:16, Reinhardt Behm <rbehm at hushmail.com> ha scritto:

> On Saturday 18 July 2015 08:59:53 Gianluca wrote:
>> No you cannot !
>> You are arising a problem that people was used to develop for desktop was
>> not aware at the moment: the new Windows and Mac app stores. So, basically
>> this is the scenario:
>> - in the last 30 years desktop application was sold without using any store
>> like windows and mac app store. LGPL was invented to give the possibility
>> for developer to sell commercial product without paying licenses - in the
>> recents years the world is changing. All application (as you noted, also
>> windows and mac application) are now sold via dedicated store, both desktop
>> and mobile app. For this case, the LGPL is old and (probably) not suitable
>> for these cases. You are screwed up !
>
> There are still many (the most) applications developed with Qt that never will
> see any "app store".
> Qt is used in many embedded an control systems where there is now use fro any
> app store.
> The software world consists of more than mobile and "app" worlds.
> My programs i.e. work in certified avionics systems, flying in helicopters.

Yes, you are right. But we are talking of indie developer and mostly of them look for the new market (the old market are full by old developer). And the future of desktop and mobile application for the endusers are on the app stores. So, that’s why we are all concerning about the license.

Let me compare your case with our case:
 - you have a client that is a company and you sell directly to them, you can use LGPL and pay nothing for Qt. The companies are willing to pay more than endusers for support and service.
 - we (indie new developer) trying to sell mobile and desktop application we are forced to use the app stores (you cannot anymore sell new softwares without using stores to the people, it’s new trend :-( ), our customers are people that they want pay almost nothing for the app. We cannot use LGPL, and Qt will cost 350$/month.

You WIN !! We LOSE !!

How can we solve this problem ?