[Interest] building Qt [4.8.7 with gcc 5] and link-time optimisation

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:36:05 CEST 2015

Concerning my test Qt5 build with LTO:

How well supported/tested is doing that in out-of-source "shadow build"? After
using -march=core2 instead of -march=native (and thus avoiding the use of SSE4
instructions), I'm running into another issue when I execute qmake -config ltcg
immediately after running configure:

qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.4.2/qtbase/src/network/access/qftp.cpp:42:10:
fatal error:
      'qcoreapplication.h' file not found
#include "qcoreapplication.h"
         ^
1 error generated.

I have a hunch this may be related to the fact that I'm running configure and
build in a virgin build directory but with Qt5 already installed as configured
(i.e. I'm rebuilding with ltcg).
I do not get that error when I do NOT execute qmake -config ltcg after
configure, and also do not get it when I first build without ltcg and then call
qmake -r config ltcg in the "finished" build directory. I'm using bin/qmake from
the build directory itself, btw.

I'll be testing later if there's any difference when I edit the makefile
generated by configure, so that it calls $(QMAKE) -config ltcg instead of simply
$(QMAKE).

R.