[Interest] [SOLVED] Text rendering problem.

william.crocker at analog.com william.crocker at analog.com
Fri Jul 24 01:20:45 CEST 2015

> I have this working with DirectWrite on Windows,
> but it only appears to work when my app is built with debug mode.
> If I build it in release mode then it does *not* work
> and the text appears badly kerned.

This was all my fault.
(D'oh My release build was not using the intended dlls.)

The original problem: Small point size text looked bad
when rendered on Windows. It looked bad because the individual
characters were not kerned well. Some chars were too close
together and some were too far apart and all in the same word.

This was fixed by using a version of Qt (4.8.6 in my case)
which was built with the -directwrite option.

Bill

I built Qt on windows like this.
My command window was opened from Visual Studio 2008
(Pull down tools to VisualStudio2008CommandPrompt)

set INCLUDE=%INCLUDE%C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Include;

set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bin;

cd 4.8.6

..\qt-everywhere-enterprise-src-4.8.6\configure -directwrite -no-declarative
-no-qt3support -no-webkit -nomake demos -nomake examples -nomake docs -nomake
translations

nmake