[Interest] TCP SYN flood attack.

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jun 10 03:18:55 CEST 2015

On Tuesday 09 June 2015 19:23:05 Bill Crocker wrote:
> I use QTcpSocket to connect to the server.
> Is there any way I could be using sockets improperly
> such that my app is the source of the SYN flood attack
> perceived by the server.

No, it's impossible for you to be using sockets improperly -- unless you have
SOCK_RAW code in your application.

The bug is neither in Qt nor in your application. The bug is in the OS itself,
either in the sender by sending invalid packets or in the receiver by
erroneously discarding/misinterpreting them. It might also be in the hardware
or infrastructure, corrupting the packets.

But it can't be above the BSD socket layer.