[Interest] What about this simple QML is broken?

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Wed Jun 10 22:48:10 CEST 2015

I sat down today to teach someone QML and it didn't work as expected. I'm on Linux usually, this person was on Windows 8, using a 32 bit Mingw. I'm pretty confident in my QML abilities, now with mobile apps on both App stores, and many other utilities not published.

At issue is the simple property of using ids. When using parent, it works, but anything using the id ("something" in this example) fails.
We tried ApplicationWindow, Window, Rectangle as the root element. When using the Window, we get "Unable to assign QQuickWindowQmlImpl to QQuickItem". In all other root elements it fails silently.

Am I losing my mind? Code below -

import QtQuick 2.4
import QtQuick.Controls 1.3
import QtQuick.Window 2.2
import QtQuick.Dialogs 1.2

Window {
    id: something
    width: 500;
    height: 200
    color: "lightgray"
    visible: true

    Text {
        id: helloText
        text: "Hello world!"
        y: 30
        anchors.horizontalCenter: something.horizontalCenter // won't be horizontally centered unless "parent"
        font.pointSize: 24;
        font.bold: true
        Rectangle{
            anchors.fill:something // won't appeat unless "parent"
            color:"red"

        }
    }
}

-----
Starting C:\Projects\build-Tutorial-Desktop_Qt_5_4_1_MinGW_32bit-Debug\debug\Tutorial.exe...

QML debugging is enabled. Only use this in a safe environment.

qrc:/main.qml:21:26: Unable to assign QQuickWindowQmlImpl to QQuickItem