[Interest] Building on Centos 6.x -- libxcb

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at theqtcompany.com
Tue Mar 3 09:00:20 CET 2015

In general it's problematic to build on a newer version, and then expect it to run on an older old ... It's also not guaranteed the other way round, but it's way more likely to work :) So yeah, if you want your app to run on CentOS 6.4 you might consider also building on it.

> If you used -qt-xcb, then the libqxcb.so plugin will not link to libxcb.so.1.
> Therefore, it does not matter what libxcb version you have on the target
> machine.

That's actually not true: What -qt-xcb does is statically compiling in a lot of the xcb helper libs, namely libxcb-fixes, libxcb-randr, libxcb-shm, libxcb-sync, libxcb-image, libxcb-keysyms, libxcb-icccm, libxcb-renderutil, libxcb-xkb. We can't link libxcb itself statically IIRC because libX11 will pull the system libxcb in anyway ... [1]

Yeah, it's sort of a misnomer, but back then I couldn't find a better name, either.

Regards

Kai

[1] For details see http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2012-October/007928.html