[Interest] [OSX/iOS] Garbage collection still in place in Qt?

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 15:14:32 CET 2015

Hi,

Apple has deprecated "garbage collection" with the release of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and as of May 1st 2015 is now enforcing that in the App Store applications may no longer use the corresponding (deprecated) Cocoa API:

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=02202015a

Instead those applications must now be fully migrated to Automatic Reference Counting (ARC). It is my understanding that "manual counting" (retain/release) is still okay, too.

I'm not a Cocoa expert, but I think the last time I looked into Cocoa (OS X) related Qt source there was still "garbage collection" in place.

I assume the same holds for iOS (although I am currently more interested in OS X).

I haven't seen this topic been discussed yet here on qt-interest (I am also posting this here, instead of on qt-developer, since I am only interested in a quick and "high-level" discussion, from a Qt user point of view).

Any statements or thoughts on this? :)

Cheers,
  Oliver