[Interest] [OSX/iOS] Garbage collection still in place in Qt?

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 15:40:45 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 5:36 AM, Sorvig Morten <
Morten.Sorvig at theqtcompany.com> wrote:

> This does not prevent applications from using ARC since it can be enabled
> per translation unit. We would like to start using ARC internally in Qt as
> well, but the requirement to drop 32-bit support may be too steep at this
> point in time. (Question for interest@: is 32-bit support important?)

For our application, YES!!!!!

Our application allows users to use/write external C/C++ libraries that our
application loads. On Macintosh, the shipping (non-Qt) version of our
application has only a 32-bit version. Once we release the new version
(using Qt), we will want to continue to provide a 32-bit version as well as
a 64-bit version so that users using existing external libraries (32-bit)
can continue to use our application. A lot of these libraries are pretty
old and not likely to be recompiled for 64-bit any time soon, so that's why
we really need to ship a 32-bit version of our application.

To answer Thiago's question, we are building our own version of 32-bit Qt
on OSX from the 5.4 branch just fine (though we're not using Webkit, for
what that's worth).

Adam