[Interest] QSqlQuery... bindValue does not work for CREATE TABLE .... AS SELECT....

alexander golks alex at golks.de
Wed Mar 11 08:10:59 CET 2015

Am Tue, 10 Mar 2015 20:06:57 +0100
schrieb Guido Seifert <wargand at gmx.de>:

> Hi,
> just 'discovered' that bindValue does not seem to work with CREATE TABLE statements. One could ask, why would anyone want to use
> a bound value in a CREATE TABLE statement. Here my query:
>
> > CREATE TEMP TABLE selectseriestable AS SELECT title FROM titlegroup,title WHERE titlegroup.seriesID=(SELECT
> > seriesid FROM series WHERE series=:series AND version=:version) AND titlegroup.titleID=title.titleID;";
>
> Works fine when I replace :series and :version with concrete values. Now the question is... is this supposed to work? Is it a bug?
> Or should it be ignored as some strange fringe use case and at best be documented?
>
> Ok, there is also the remote possibility that I overlooked something or made a mistake. ;-)
> The database I currently use is postgresql.
>
> Guido

works at my side, qt4.8.6:

  query.prepare("CREATE TEMP TABLE selectseriestable AS SELECT title FROM titlegroup,title "
    "WHERE titlegroup.seriesID=(SELECT seriesid FROM series WHERE series=:series AND version=:version) AND titlegroup.titleID=title.titleID;");
  QString series="bla";
  QString version="blabla";
  query.bindValue(":series",series);
  query.bindValue(":version",version);

besides that my ms sql server don't like the syntax...
in my case the QSqlQuery emulates preparing and binding, but the query is prepared successfully and the values are bound. and the statement is executed by the sql server.

i think in view of the drivers theres no difference in the exact statement, whether you have a insert, create, whatever, is of no concern.

alex

--
/*
 *  panic("Damn it Jim! I'm a doctor, not a programmer! "