[Interest] Bounties?

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Fri Mar 13 09:08:41 CET 2015

Till Oliver Knoll schreef op 12-3-2015 om 17:52:
>> Am 12.03.2015 um 14:57 schrieb maitai <maitai at virtual-winds.org>:
>>
>> If an app needs to be qml for mobile and qwidgets for PCs, then the
>> whole concept of portability is broken.
> Uhm... why? The UI layer - in the best case - is just a small part of the application and the entire business logic should be independent.
UI just a small part? Seriously? For a trivial application perhaps, or
if you really can stick to using a bunch of standard components and be
done with it. In my experience, if you want to make a good interface,
that is not where the work stops. There is very, versy significant
effort in a good user interface.

> So having QML on mobile devices and Qt Widgets on desktops for me is not a point against "portability".
>
> Qt offers so much more "non-UI" functionality these days which is cross-platform. So providing a complete (maybe "simplified") UI paradigm on a mobile platform, but which accesses the same (cross-platform) model is not a contradiction.
>
> In fact I always get suspicious when people claim to have the same UI (even same code basis "with a few #ifdefs"!) on both desktop and mobile platforms: either it is a trivial application, or it "just does not feel right" on one platform.

That though, _is_ true. Different platforms require a different UI.
Which amounts to more of the work I already pointed out above.

André