[Interest] Bounties?

Bernhard private at bernhard-lindner.de
Fri Mar 13 19:51:37 CET 2015

> > Regarding $174 for a professional license... for a startup this IS a
> > significant amount of money. Also I have doubts about effectivity of
> > Bronze support level regarding bug fixes.
>
> Alright, I didn't want to be rude. Sure there are people for which $174 is
a lot
> of money, and I appreciate that you and other's feel committed to
contribute
> to Qt in one way or the other.

Which is why am I a bit frustrated since contributing on a small level
and/or occasionally is currently impossible. The only thing I can do is
writing reports... most of them being wasted time since there is no one that
can fix them. So I am searching for feasible ways of minimal contribution.

> Still, I remain skeptical for a money-based bounty system for Qt. I'm not
> aware of any project successfully implementing such a bounty system,
> although the idea pops up since years [1]. Also, my best guess is that
most
> people contributing to Qt are either employed to do this, or have other
day-
> time jobs. And their count is limited: So by backing up "your" bug with
money
> you at best shifting focus around.

If this is true it would be a pity. But even if only a single developer
could be hired from the collected money it would be great.

So you wouldn't give it a try?

> What I'd rather like to see is getting more people to be active
contributors.

I know. And I wish your idea becomes reality. For my part the problem is
that I could/need to contribute only from time to time... particularly every
time I am hitting some wall. Let's say I would do this once a month maximum.
And each time I would need to change something in a different module of Qt.
I would have forgotten the processes each time and would need to work into
them repeatedly. Also I would need to dig into every of Qt's module and it's
internals. The effort would be very high. I am afraid this is something that
can be done on a MUCH more frequent/specialized basis only. I would draw
time from my main task in an inacceptable way. Even searching and analyzing
possible bugs can be a very time consuming task which is able to destroy
time lines by its own.

I am very sorry about that but currently those imaginary bounties are the
only way I could contribute. If they don't work... well... darn!

--
Kind Regards
Bernhard Lindner