[Interest] Do I need to build Qt from the source to have an app compile in 32 bit?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 08:47:33 CET 2015

On Friday March 13 2015 19:38:11 Thiago Macieira wrote:

>Please note you also need Qt 5.3.2 at the latest. Newer versions do not
>support Mac OS X 10.6.

This is not entirely true. I have used Digia's own 5.4.0 installer on OS X 10.9 and then deployed the installed Qt tree to a 10.6.8 system. Once transferred, it was perfectly possible to build and run Qt applications locally against that Qt version.

What you do need though is the OS X 10.6 SDK, and I'm not sure if systems more recent than OS X 10.7 can be used to build applications targeting 10.6.

Your best option may be to grab a copy of OS X 10.6 Server (or 10.7 if you can find it) while it is still available, and install it in a VM (both recent VMWare and Parallels Desktop have excellent support for this, but if you're ok with setting up a headless VM even VirtualBox will do. The added advantage is that you can (probably) set up the VM as a 32bit system. If you end up with a 10.6 VM you'll probably have to use Qt 5.3.2 indeed, as that's the last version that can be built on that version of the OS.

R.