[Interest] Text elide modes for widgets

Shinnok admin at shinnok.com
Tue Mar 17 09:23:55 CET 2015

Hi,

How come no one has ever gone the extra mile and implemented elide modes for QLabel, QPushButton, etc.. yet? Is there some catch here?
I’ve been working with Qt for years, I know countless others that do so too and I can vouch for you that each and everyone has found the need to implement elide mode support first for QLabel and then for other widgets for any project that is bigger than 1k LOC. Now each and every one of those implementations, mind you, they are separate, redundant and futile, countless man hours wasted.
There are and were many issues years old, decaying with no action on them:
QTBUG-18575 <https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-18575>
QTBUG-13445 <https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-13445>

So is there any catch? I’m inviting the veterans especially to shed some light here, Thiago? Font rendering and handling maybe? Since I can’t think of any widget side impediments in the overall SDK picture. I searched for a KDE alternative, thinking that maybe we’re waiting that to be ported to base, but that doesn’t seem the case either.
Or maybe this is just a case of, “Oh, no one wants to do it, let’s wait until we really have to.” ? If this is it and there’s no hidden reasoning behind this long overdue leftover, I’d be happy to put some effort and contribute a patch for that. At least it’ll spare me the effort of implementing elide modes time and time again for each new project.

Thank you,
Shinnok