[Interest] Kicking out QtScript completely

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Mar 18 00:05:00 CET 2015

On Tuesday 17 March 2015 21:21:18 Christian Dähn wrote:
> Business grade frameworks have to last for many many years,

Considering that QtScript has been de facto deprecated since 5.0 came out,
considering that it will still work for several more years (provided you stop
upgrading your compiler at some point) and considering that Qt retains binary
compatibility for 5+ years, how is Qt not doing exactly what you want?
Moreover, wouldn't you want to be warned with enough advance notice (hopefully
a year or two) that something is going away?

Please understand our predicament: QtScript depends on the large
JavaScriptCore library that is part of WebKit. And, as you may or may not
know, WebKit has basically closed its doors to cooperation -- it's now an
Apple walled garden, like it used to be back in 2001. We can't get updates
from upstream JSC and we simply don't have the manpower to keep three JS
engines running (there's one in qtwebengine).

With infinite resources, we could keep QtScript in "Done" state.

But we're being realistic and telling people that we can't. We're giving you a
year of advance notice before we stop updating in the binaries, and probably
two more after that before it stops working completely if you care to build
from source.

In my book, that is called "business-friendly".

Doing anything else would be irresponsible.