[Interest] Qt 5.5 and Red Hat 5

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Thu Mar 19 07:43:09 CET 2015

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015, Till Oliver Knoll wrote:

> As I see it the current issue (using a kernel feature which is not
> present on an 8 years old RH 5) can be ignored. Qt 5 will never compile
> for them, as it seems, since even when that feature in question would be
> removed again, they would get past that point in compilation, but would
> still hit problems with outdated (system) libraries.

William's case is just one out of many though. There are others willing to
upgrade packages on their RH 5 systems. I've just had one customer
following Christoph Cullmann's (of Kate fame) recipe this week:

  http://kate-editor.org/2014/12/22/qt-5-4-on-red-hat-enterprise-5/

Many EDA companies are still stuck to RHEL 5 as their standard (minimum)
Linux platform. See these 2014/2015(!) statements:

  http://www.synopsys.com/Support/LI/SupportPlatform/Pages/PlatformsRoadmap.aspx
  http://www.cadence.com/support/computing/Documents/Cadence_Platform_Support_Plan.pdf
  http://supportnet.mentorg.com/systemreqs/calibre.cfm?lang=en
  http://www.ansys.com/staticassets/ANSYS/staticassets/support/platform-support-ansys-15.0-detailed-summary.pdf

for example. The Qt Company's sales people from the US will be able to
confirm this I bet.

Granted, support can be dropped soon but development is still active and
upgrades for developers and users won't happen that quickly.

At least a compilation from sources should be made possible imo.

Harri.