[Interest] Qt 5.5 and Red Hat 5

Reinhardt Behm rbehm at hushmail.com
Tue Mar 24 02:35:43 CET 2015

On Monday 23 March 2015 07:07:48 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > In EDA, the industry Im in, our customers, quite often get stuck on a
> > hardware platform for the life time of their project.  And a project can
> > be
> > 5-6 YEARS..
> >
> > So, if they are on CentOS 5 and it was 1 year old when the project
> > started,
> > they will be using it throughout the project for 6-7 years..
>
> Indeed, but remember we're talking about a distro now 7 years old. That's
> at  least one full cycle of your project.
>
> Please make sure people choose VERY current stuff when they begin anew. If
> you  choose something 2 years old and intend to keep it for 6 more, you'll
> suffer a lot when that thing is nearing the 8th anniversary.

Hi Thiago,

some industries are just no so fast paced.

I am also still supporting one major application running at SuSE 9 and Qt
3.3.3 in medical rescue helicopters. At the time of development Qt4 was just
out and to new to use in such a critical application. With a new hardware
version it was rewritten using Qt4 in 2010 but the old hardware is just to
reliable to be replaced after 10 years.

Last week I was even asked for support by a customer (military) because an
application (16bit DOS/WIN) written 17 years ago because it does not run on
current Windows. So I will have to convert something written using ZINC
(anybody knew/remember?) and convert it to current Qt for the next 15 years to
run.

--
Best Regards

Reinhardt Behm