[Interest] Qt 5.5 and Red Hat 5

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 15:35:16 CET 2015

++On 23/03/15 23:43, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday 23 March 2015 20:28:10 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> There's ABI differences between libstdc++ versions when using C++11, so
>> one has to wonder what happens when using C++11 in Qt (which was built
>> with the RH dev toolset) and then the resulting application is used on
>> vanilla RHEL without the toolset...
>
> On Linux, that's not a relevant question. We don't expose any of the libstdc++
> ABI in our ABI. All you need is the base C++ core language support to be
> working (operator new, typeinfos, etc.).

But even if you don't expose it, don't you still *use* it? Doesn't Qt
have a dependency on libstdc++ since it uses it internally (by virtue of
consisting of C++ code and being linked by g++)?

If Qt is built with -std=g++11 (or -std=c++11), then Qt itself depends
on the C++11 ABI of libstdc++ it was built against, I think. That's why
I'm asking what happens if you then run the Qt *.so libs on an older
libstdc++.