[Interest] dynamic_cast failing

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri May 8 18:56:08 CEST 2015

Just for more fun: here's another visibility-related dynamic_cast error that I've been seeing. They appear in OS X's system.log, from an application that AFAIK is *not* started through LaunchServices so that should be able to print errors to stderr instead of to the system log:

May  8 18:00:28 Portia.local akonadi_imap_resource[42334]: dynamic_cast error 2: One or more of the following type_info's  has hidden visibility.  They should all have public visibility.   N7Akonadi11PayloadBaseE, N7Akonadi7PayloadIN5boost10shared_ptrIN5KMime7MessageEEEEE, N7Akonadi7PayloadIN5boost10shared_ptrIN5KMime7MessageEEEEE.

This doesn't seem to correspond to any dysfunction in the application, and without any clue where that message is printed I cannot even start to assess if I should figure out what's going on. The only thing I know is that "N7Akonadi11PayloadBaseE" is defined in a private header ... it does pique my curiosity!

Ok, as you were :)

R.