[Interest] QProcess performance issues

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu May 14 19:24:13 CEST 2015

On Thursday May 14 2015 07:59:41 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Thursday 14 May 2015 13:21:59 René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> > I never noticed particular performance issues with the input this code was
> > used with (2-4Gb max).
>
> Asynchronous writing?

If you mean buffered, through standard stdio routines, than yes, that probably helped.
But in the end "abysmal performance" in writing on and/or reading from a pipe would have been an issue here too because at some point the code (or the user) would be waiting for the ffmpeg result ...
And I cannot recall having noticed a significant difference in processing speed between OS X and MS Windows. (And I should add that I either ran XP in a VM on the same OS X host. The same code under Win7 on a netbook was of course considerably slower ;))

R.