[Interest] OpenGL ES 3.1 and Tessellation

Daniel Watkins dwatkins at valpineware.com
Sun May 17 06:04:17 CEST 2015

Hey guys,

I've been scavenging the internet for a few weeks here trying to figure out
how to access OpenGL ES 3.1 through Qt. According to the new features list
for the 5.4 and 5.5 releases, there is talk about ES 3, but there doesn't
appear to be much documentation about how to use it. It seems that to get
an ES 3.1 context for a QQuickView, you can do the following:

QSurfaceFormat format = view.format();

format.setProfile(QSurfaceFormat::CoreProfile);

format.setRenderableType(QSurfaceFormat ::OpenGLES);

format.setVersion(3, 1);

view.setFormat(format);

But is there a way to actually access the ES31 functions? There
clearly is not a QOpenGLFunctions_ES31 class. I tried straight up
including the Khronos header file, but that ended up with some
conflicts. Rummaging around in the qtbase/src/gui/opengl directory,
there appears to be a private QOpenGLES3Helper class, and talk about
the Android extensions pack, which leads to my next concern.

How might someone go about accessing the tessellation shader
extensions available on certain Android devices? I'm seeing this
#define GL_ANDROID_extension_pack_es31a in qopengles2ext.h, so it
appears likely possible.

Thanks in advance