[Interest] "Dynamic session lookup supported but failed"

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun May 17 17:59:58 CEST 2015

On Friday May 15 2015 17:11:02 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > What I don't understand then is why KDE4 and KF5 applications (from Ubuntu
> > 14.04) complain about a missing dbus when I launch them over ssh, and tell
> > me to do `eval dbus-launch` by hand.
>
> They should only do that if DISPLAY is also unset. If DISPLAY is set and
> valid, then autostarting works and the applications should not tell you
> anything.

Apparently that's only theory, or something is wrong (different) with Kubuntu in that aspect. KDE4 and KF5 (built against Qt 5.3.2) applications complain about a missing DBus if it's not running even when DISPLAY is perfectly valid. Pure Qt (5.3.2) applications neither complain nor launch a DBus daemon.

TBH, it kind of makes sense to me not to autostart a daemon that should set env. variables in a context where it cannot set those variables. Suppose it gets started, and then the user launches another app that also requires a session DBus. If usually it would find the correct dbus-daemon with the help of an env. variable (DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS and/or DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID), what is it going to do when that variable isn't set? Launch another daemon, which might cause all kinds of side-effects?