[Interest] Build Qt from source in 32bit (-platform macx-clang-32)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu May 28 13:54:36 CEST 2015

On Thursday May 28 2015 10:09:52 Nuno Santos wrote:

> > Stupid question: you did check that not only is the framework bundle there, its payload is there too exactly as shown?
>
> Sorry about my ignorance. what is the payload?

The contents of the .framework directory inside the Contents/Frameworks directory inside the application bundle.

> I’m a baby boy regarding libraries, plugins and specially about the details of each platform. This is not something I deal on a daily basis so the learn curve tends to be quite hard.

If the file does exist, what does
%> file "Your application".app/Contents/Frameworks/QtQuick.framework/Versions/5/QtQuick

say?

> I’m not sure if I can reply explicitly answer to your questions. The only thing I know so far is that if I build the bundle as 64 bit, run macdeploy on it and load it on a 64 bit host program, it behaves the same way, so I assume this is not an issue related with the 32 bit build.

Indeed. I didn't notice this however:
> Referenced from:
> /Users/nsantos/Dropbox/workspace/drc/vstbuild/64/audiolab.vst/Contents/MacOS/audiolab
                                                            ^^^

It is not entirely impossible that your issue arises from the fact that you use @executable_path in something that may not be recognised as an app bundle: what happens if you rename audiolab.vst to audiolab.app ?

> I can also observe that the bundle does load, if I don’t run macdeployqt on it. But i’m also sure that it won’t open on another computer without Qt installed on the same path.

Where does it get installed if you don't use macdeployqt?

> Is macdeployqt a recommended procedure for bundles? Or this is definitely not related?

Do you mean plugin bundles here, or the term bundle in the general sense that includes application bundles?

Someone else will have to help you with that. I never use macdeployqt myself, as all my Qt grappling takes place in the MacPorts context, i.e. with a central Qt installation. I usually find myself undoing the effects of attempts to bundle everything into an application bundle ...

R.