[Interest] Qt interfacing to Android native UI ?

Federico Buti fed.buti at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 23:24:31 CET 2015

On 3 November 2015 at 22:30, Edward Sutton <edward.sutton at subsite.com>
wrote:

> > On Nov 3, 2015, at 2:11 PM, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 at 10:12 AM
> >> From: "Edward Sutton" <edward.sutton at subsite.com>
> >> To: "Qt Interest" <interest at qt-project.org>
> >> Subject: [Interest] Qt interfacing to Android native UI ?
> >>
> >> I know I can use native iOS UI by mixing Objective-C++ and C++ in the
> same *.mm file.
> >>
> >> I have done a little Android JNI.  Are there any examples for
> interfacing to Android native UI elements?
> >>
> >> I need to create a UI picker for manually entering GPS latitude and
> longitude in degrees,  or degrees, minutes, seconds for a widgets app.  I
> expect it will be hard to make a touch usable widget UI picker.  Developing
> a native interface may take similar amount of time but result will be much
> superior.
> >

> > >Define "much superior”?
>
> What the user expects. True native touch UI. Responsive and fast.
>

> > >Don't forget QML, which I think is the bee's knees. And then you have
> one codebase for iOS and Android and Desktop, which to me is vastly
> superior.
>
> Does QML have a numeric picker wheel ui element?

​Since Qt 5.5 Tumbler
<http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtquick-extras-tumbler.html> is free. Anyhow
writing one in QML is quite easy using a PathView. Here is a component

> I have wanted to try creating UI elements in QML then display them in a
> widget from my C++ Qt widget app.  I do not know if this is possible;
> launching a QML ui then and receiving what the user selects from the QML
> UI. It may be worth the effort.

> If I could mix some QML with my widget app it could be a better solution
> compared to writing (and maintaining) two (2) native UI numeric pickers,
> one for Android, and one for iOS.

> So far I have one Qt widget codebase supporting Android, iOS, Linux, OS X,
> and Windows desktops except for a few things like Bluetooth, sending email,
> UIAlertView ( QMessageBox looks terrible on iOS ) and such.  If I start
> adding native UI interfaces for Android and iOS I start to lose benefits of
> Qt.

Mixing Qt Widget and QML is possible.​ Look at this blogpost
<http://www.ics.com/blog/combining-qt-widgets-and-qml-qwidgetcreatewindowcontainer>
.

​Cheers,
F.