[Interest] [Qt3D] Minimizing Qt3D dependencies

Catalin Moldovan moldovan.catalin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 21:47:07 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm interested in trying and using Qt3D 2.0 for game development. I'm
currently using Unity3D but I was always attracted by the beauty of Qml and
I'm a C++ developer at heart. I have some concerns though regarding the
size of an application that is using Qt3D. From what I've seen Qt3D depends
on GUI module and that is a pretty big module. I suppose that module is
used to initialize OpenGL context but I didn't dug up through source code
to verify.
Is it possible to minimize dependencies for Qt3D somehow? I mean
theoretically it should depend just on Qt Core and Qt Qml.
I was thinking of implementing my own little engine using bgfx rendering
framework and use minimal Qt Core and Qt Qml dependencies because of that.
But on the other hand Qt3D is so well designed and I will just waste time
trying to replicate something that is already available. Not to mention
that this would be a serious undertaking.