[Interest] Figuring out qmake and -static install use

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Oct 4 23:54:55 CEST 2015

On Sunday 04 October 2015 23:23:35 Tuncer Ayaz wrote:
> I'm trying to fix static linking against Qt5 in mkvtoolnix-gui, and
> because it has its own autoconf+make build system, I need to figure
> out how to link in the archives (.a) such that there's no runtime
> error trying to load a non-existent xcb plugin .so for a Qt5.5 install
> that was built with "./configure -static [...]". I know that the Qt5.5
> install works flawlessly when linking qcachegrind, so it should be
> enough to understand what qmake does and replicate that in
> mkvtoolnix's build system. Any pointers for me to investigate?

You need to link to the libqxcb.a library (static plugin) and you need to add
an extra file to your build that will cause it to be linked and registered into
the plugin system.

I don't have a ready static build here to check, but I think qmake generates
an extra file per plugin (check mkspecs/modules and plugins/platforms) that
contains the necessary class name. You can also just try to do the same with
qmake and see what it generates.