[Interest] Q[Open]GLWidget and separate render thread

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 17:01:52 CEST 2015

I have a requirement for a project to provide a very high and consistent
frame rate of GL rendering. We are otherwise using Qt for the
application and would prefer to continue to do so. The only way we have
been able to determine to achieve the necessary render requirements is
to have a separate, dedicated thread that is constantly rendering and
performing a vsync-synchronous buffer swap. For various reasons
(particularly that the buffer swap will be blocking), this can't be done
in the main UI thread.

Does anyone have any guidelines / tutorials / examples on how to
implement GL rendering in a separate render thread with a Qt 5.x GL widget?

(Also... we are currently using distro-provided Qt which is 5.2/5.3,
i.e. no QOpenGLWidget. We can upgrade if needed, but it may require
building Qt ourselves, so we'd prefer not to without good reason. Does
anyone know if a separate render thread is possible with QGLWidget,
and/or if there are other issues that have been fixed that would mandate
updating to a newer Qt version?)

--
Matthew