[Interest] [Qt3D] Minimizing Qt3D dependencies

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Sun Oct 11 19:48:40 CEST 2015

Hi,

Qt3D will always require QtGui for the QWindow, QOpenGL* classes and the
QPA abstraction layer.

It does not however require QtWidgets so it is not as heavy as you may
think.

Cheers,

Sean

On 03/10/2015 20:47, Catalin Moldovan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in trying and using Qt3D 2.0 for game development. I'm
> currently using Unity3D but I was always attracted by the beauty of
> Qml and I'm a C++ developer at heart. I have some concerns though
> regarding the size of an application that is using Qt3D. From what
> I've seen Qt3D depends on GUI module and that is a pretty big module.
> I suppose that module is used to initialize OpenGL context but I
> didn't dug up through source code to verify.
> Is it possible to minimize dependencies for Qt3D somehow? I mean
> theoretically it should depend just on Qt Core and Qt Qml.
> I was thinking of implementing my own little engine using bgfx
> rendering framework and use minimal Qt Core and Qt Qml dependencies
> because of that. But on the other hand Qt3D is so well designed and I
> will just waste time trying to replicate something that is
> already available. Not to mention that this would be a serious
> undertaking.

Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK
KDAB (UK) Ltd, a KDAB Group company
Tel. +44 (0)1625 809908; Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090
Mobile: +44 (0)7545 140604
KDAB - Qt Experts