[Interest] Qt iOS without QML?

Edward Sutton edward.sutton at subsite.com
Tue Oct 27 14:04:02 CET 2015

On Oct 27, 2015, at 4:19 AM, Robert Iakobashvili via Interest <interest at qt-project.org<mailto:interest at qt-project.org>> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:37 AM, Roman Wüger <interest at qt-project.org<mailto:interest at qt-project.org>> wrote:
Hello,

Is it at the moment possible to develop iOS apps only with Qt Widgets and without any QML?

Thanks in advance

We are doing that for a rather simple GUI,
but mixing it with native popover windows.

Overall, Qt iOS and Android teams are mainly supporting QML
and widgets are considered a second class priority.

Think twice before using Qt at mobile platforms
and consider native development.

I agree with Robert’s recommendation.

I develop a Qt Widget app targeting Android, iOS, OS X, and Windows.  Embedded Linux may become another target.  When you want a single source code to support all these targets Qt can make sense.

However a Qt widget app can be ugly on Android and iOS.  Buttons and tables appear too small for fingers.  Font size is out of proportion.  The touch interface is not natural, it can take a lot of hacking, or it just does not work.  While the app will look good on desktops and can be usable on a Samsung S4 phone, Nexus 7 or iPad tablets, it will likely not look good on smaller screen iPhone 5 and Moto G devices.  UI scaling for various resolutions with widgets is really hard.  You will likely need to interface to native java or Objective-C to accomplish things you cannot do through Qt.

If I was supporting *only* Android or iOS I would give Xamarin<https://xamarin.com/> or one of the HTML 5 frameworks such as Apache Cordova<https://cordova.apache.org/> serious research.  I understand with Xamarin you can do all your business logic in C# and use their generic forms library for the UI.  Or do all your business logic in C# and create the UI using C# interface to the native UI elements.  You could even support Windows phone which may make a one or two customers happy. ;-)

However, if you need to support desktops too, Xamarin may not be so good.  Disclaimer: I have not used Xamarin.

-Ed
This email and any files transmitted with it from The Charles Machine Works, Inc. are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Our company accepts no liability for the contents of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.