[Interest] qt3d-scene only in a part of the 'regular' qml app

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Fri Sep 11 09:49:33 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 10/09/2015 15:26, privet56 hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use Qt3D in my "normal" QML app, of which the root
> element is "ApplicationWindow" currently.
> However, all the Qt3D examples I see in Qt 5.5
> 1) are built in the way only showing Qt3D elements (mostly with the
> root element "Entity"),
> 2) use the whole application for 3D content,
> 3) use QQmlAspectEngine instead of QQmlApplicationEngine with a
> demo-specific "window.h".
>
> Is it possible to 'use' only a part of the QML app for the Qt3D scene with

Wrap your Qt3D "world" in a Scene3D element. Scene3D is a custom Qt
Quick 2 item that renders the Qt3D world into a texture by way of a
framebuffer object and then uses this to texture a quad in the Qt Quick
2 world. Much the same way as ShaderEffect works.

See
http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qt3d.git/tree/examples/qt3d/scene3d/main.qml
for example.

Cheers,

Sean

> 1) all the interaction possibilities (eg. with
> mouse/keyboard-camera-position-changing)
> 2) being able to show .obj/.dae meshes
> ?
> Is there a demo for this use case available?
> In such an "embedded-3d" case, is it better to use
> QQmlApplicationEngine or QQmlAspectEngine with (or without) the
> window.h/.cpp from the demos?
>
> Thx for Hints in Advance!

Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK
KDAB (UK) Ltd, a KDAB Group company
Tel. +44 (0)1625 809908; Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090
Mobile: +44 (0)7545 140604
KDAB - Qt Experts