[Interest] system, general and fixed font on Linux

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 09:10:28 CEST 2015

Thiago Macieira wrote:

>> point in the past. Where is this information obtained from, I can't seem to
>> find a candidate settings file under ~/.local or ~/.config ?
>
> It might come from fontconfig.

Does fontconfig have a way of defining which font to use for what purpose, in
addition to defining how fonts are to be rendered?

I've been digging a bit through the code, and it appears that the
genericunixtheme actually supports 3 styles; a true generic, and kde and
gnome/gtk. I suppose something (how?!) picks up the fact I'm using KDE, and then
calls routines that actually read settings from KDE.

That observation raises additional questions (probably more appropriate to ask
elsewhere). To what extent are those KDE-supporting functions (if you can call
them like that) required on Unix platforms where one would want to run KDE (KF5)
applications without running a full KDE Plasma desktop. Mac OS X would be such a
platform, and KF5 applications currently build but don't run (crash) there. And
from what I've seen, the whole genericunixtheme source tree is excluded from OS
X builds.

R.